The Everest will run as race seven at 4.15pm (AEDT) at Randwick on Saturday.
WHAT IS IT?
* A $14 million race over 1200m at weight-for-age offering a $6.05 million first-place prize purse, down to $400,000 for seventh to 12th
* A dozen slots are sold at $600,000 a year with buyers committing for three years but able to sell, lease or joint-venture
HOW DID IT COME ABOUT?
* An idea by Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys modelled on the Pegasus World Cup (1800m), run for the first time in Florida in January, 2017
WHO OWNS A SLOT?
* Bo Ho & Carmel Size Racing, Aquis Farm, Yu Long Investments, Inglis, Coolmore, Godolphin, The Star Casino, Tabcorp, Melbourne Racing Club, Max Whitby Syndicate, James Harron Bloodstock and Chris Waller Racing
WHO WILL RACE?
* Classique Legend, Pierata, Redzel, In Her Time, Ten Sovereigns, Alizee, Arcadia Queen, Santa Ana Lane, Trekking, Sunlight, Nature Strip and Yes Yes Yes
IS IT THE RICHEST HORSE RACE IN THE WORLD?
* No. But it’s billed as the world’s richest race on turf, with the Dubai World Cup and Pegasus ($US12m, $US9m) both run on dirt. The Melbourne Cup is worth $8 million
* The $625,000 trophy features 8463 black diamonds, 592 white diamonds and two rubies
* US pop diva Kelly Rowland will perform a 45-minute concert after the last race
* Live DJs will perform at the new Palm Springs-inspired precinct Pony Palms
“We’re really here to try to get some redemption. We feel we have one of the top sprinters in the world and Saturday is an opportunity to hopefully showcase that” – assistant trainer Sam Freedman on favourite Santa Ana Lane
“He’s going well. He’s a year older than last year but the Snowdens are masters of getting horses to peak on the day” – jockey Kerrin McEvoy on defending two-time champion Redzel
“She’s very sharp. She, I guess, is a little bit vulnerable at 1200 metres but she’ll certainly be very strong at the end of the race. Barrier three should allow her to find a nice comfort zone (and) be in a midfield position” – Arcadia Queen’s trainer Chris Waller
“He’s the lightest-weighted horse in the race and the youngest horse. (Barrier nine) gives Glen Boss the option to find a bit of cover but also get out and get going when he needs to” – Waller on Yes Yes Yes
“He’s not the best of beginners. He can be half a length slow. He’ll have to be going at a pretty high speed to cross an Everest field (from barrier 12), but that’ll certainly be the plan” – Waller on Nature Strip
“She’s in terrific order. I think she can (win it). I think she’s been a little bit forgotten. She’s got good form references around Santa Ana Lane who is very tight in the market. So I expect her to run really well” – In Her Time’s trainer Kris Lees
“She has a great record at Randwick winning five races including two at Group One level – she’s right in this race and we expect her to run well” – James Cummings on Alizee